Even if you are very careful to take precautions when accepting checks, you may still experience a bad check from time to time. When you have a provided a service or product to someone, you deserve to be paid. Because of this, there is nothing quite as frustrating as discovering a check you accepted was returned by the bank as insufficient funds. At Howe & Associates, our experienced collection attorney can help you file a lawsuit to get the money owed you, but there are a few steps you should take first.

Make a Call to the Check Writer

While many customers write bad checks knowingly, in some cases it was simply a mistake. They may have balanced their checkbook incorrectly, or there may been a mistake with the paycheck from the job. We encourage business owners to call the customer first, inform them that their check was returned, and give them to opportunity to pay what they owe.

Send a Certified Letter

If making a phone call doesn’t work, send a certified letter to the writer of the bad check requesting repayment and informing them of the next steps you plan to take if they do not pay you. Make sure you keep a copy of the letter, along with records of any interactions between you and the check writer.

Hire a Professional

If you are unable to collect the money owed you through a letter, it is time to seek out the help of a bad check collection attorney. With the help of a lawyer, you can sue the check writer for as much as double the check amount, up to $500.

To learn more about the bad check collection service offered by Howe & Associations, click here or call 404-660-4702 to schedule a visit with one of our experienced bad check collection attorneys.